Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Are you a snob like me?

As I was driving home from the mall last night feeling guilty for the amount of money that I spent on face soap and lotion, I realized that even though my husband is a student and we don't have a lot of money, there are some things that I am willing to spend money on. I am okay sacrificing in some ways (I really am!), but some things that I am just a snob about. Here are a few......

1. Paper towels have to be Viva. They are so thick that I can scrub the carpet with them. I once had a neighbor boy ask if we throw them away or reuse them.



2. Skin care. I've spent way too much money on soaps, lotions, toners, serum, etc... My current favorite is Murad (thanks, Syd for introducing me way back when).



3. Diapers (which we currently don't have and might never have again!!!) have to be Huggies.
4. Campbells soup, not the generic kind.



5. Dog food. I don't know why, I just think our little puppy deserves the best.
6. Candles. The cheap ones just don't do the job. I prefer something like Salt City or Yankee.
7. Schools. This isn't a splurge, but when we were looking at houses, Michael called me a snob because I insisited that we have our children in a particular school district. So maybe I am a snob, but I also want the best for my children.

I think of myself as pretty frugal but these things are just some of my splurges. I want to know what you splurge on or what you are a snob about.

11 comments:

Kimball Family said...

I'm a snob about a LOT of things. There are way too many to mention, but I do think that I'm actually getting better. I even buy non-name brand shoes for my kids now; the brand-name ones are just way too expensive, and the kids grow out of them in a few months anyway.

I'm pretty big on name-brand milk, though. I am embarrassed to admit that we have our milk delivered because I really dislike the store brands. Nothing beats Royal Crest Dairy.

I think it's okay to be snobby! But I may just be saying that to make myself feel better.

Nicolaysen's Neighborbood said...

I have my few snobisms. (glad I'm not the only one!) First- schools. You knew the whole debate for me and Chris buying a house in District 12. (I WON!) Second- toilet paper. I WILL NOT buy the cheap stuff. Only Charmin will do in my house. Third- paper towels. I only use Bounty. It is the quicker picker upper, you know. Last, moisturizer. I only use the Oil of Olay Regenerist stuff. Love it! Besides that, I don't care. I shop at Goodwill on a regular basis, started clipping coupons, etc. But those couple things you will always find in my house.

Deanna said...

Okay, I'm totally w/ Gretchen on the Oil of Olay Regenerist - although I do recall trying to get you, Zipporah, to try it and you were allergic to it! :o) For me, Capmbell's Tomato Soup (I don't care about the brand when it's the other kinds), only JIF peanut butter, and only MINUTE MAID orange juice. I have many more, but those are the HAVE TO's.

Yep - sign me up for the snob group. :o)

oodlesofoversons said...

I'm totally a snob about some of that stuff, too...HAVE to have Charmin...unless there is some weird emergency that will not allow me to have this toilet paper, we will continue to use it. Let's see...my MAC makeup, Ball Park hot dogs are just a couple of the others. Oh, and baby wipes..have to be huggies.

Mark and Tara Christiansen said...

I want to be in the snob group! I will only buy widescreen dvds. I like my Total toothpaste, my air popped popcorn, and diet coke(Not Pepsi). I am totally with you on the dog food, though the Costco brand is great, because it has more meat. I only buy professonal hair products for myself, but my husband and children use whatever is on sale at Walmart. How'd I do? I think I might be the biggest snob of all.Ü

Sydney said...

I'm with you on the Viva paper towels, those things are the bomb! Face Care (Wexler for me, I'm not sure why I stopped using Murad, however I did love that stuff), Hair Care and product. I'll only buy Huggies or Pampers and I'm with you on the Campbells Soup too.

I'm still pretty frugal when it comes to clothes but one day...one day, I'll only buy designer jeans:)

Oliver and Keisha said...

ok--so I thought and thought--and I know I have snobby issues, but one of my big ones, it donuts. Not very donut is the same. i have to have Albertsons donuts. And toilet paper, and kleenex, and contact solution, and face cleaning stuff, etc. etc. etc. :)

Ben and Krystal said...

HEINZ catsup all the way. Anything else tastes like crap and I won't use it.

Leslie said...

I am a Pampers snob, and I think this falls more into the category of princess (and the pea) instead of snob, but my bed is a temperpedic, and I can't stand to sleep on anything else! I told Paul if I ever run away, to look for me at a Hampton Inn because the beds are almost as comfortable as mine!

Yvonne said...

I have to have Tillamook cheese - its the best. :)

510Jen said...

Yep I am with you. Snob check!