Monday, November 12, 2007


I'm in Las Vegas last weekend and get a call from my husband that went something like this:
Michael (in a very shaky and upset voice): "I haven't wanted to call you, but I have a problem...... (I'm thinking that maybe one of our children cracked their head open or something).... I can't find Conner".
When he called, he had already searched our entire house a few times for about 45 minutes. He continued to look (me calling every few minutes) for the next hour and a half with the help of neighbors, friends, and the police (who called out for a helicopter). Finally, thankfully one of our friends found Conner hiding in our bathroom standing between the shower curtain and liner. He had been standing there for almost three hours with his pants down. His Dad had given him a cold shower the day before for pooping in his pants, and we think he might have been scared to get one again so he decided to hide. He found the perfect place where it was very very difficult to find him. The friend that found him saw his little fingers through the crack in the bathroom door. ....Can you believe that he stood there for so long, and with his pants down. It was a crazy and terrible morning, mostly for Michael (poor guy!). We are SO glad that everything turned out okay.

13 comments:

Sydney said...

Ah, will NEVER forget that moment. The panic, the fear and the chuckling of trying to visualize little Conner standing so still while the fire detector rang and while Michael tried to bribe him with candy.

So glad he was found and you didn't have to get on a plane. Shopping wouldn't have been the same without you!

Nicole said...

Zipporah, oh that sounds so scary. We do the "cold shower" thing in our house too. The kids HATE it, but its the only thing that gets through to them, and we don't want to do anything that hurts them... Its good that he wasn't really lost or hurt or kidnapped. poor little guy. Poor Mike, poor you!

Nichole said...

Well, I hope you had fun in Vegas, but did you learn your lesson not to leave the kids home alone with Michael!?! Call someone responsible next time! (like their coolest Aunt Nichole) I bet Michael felt so bad. I'm glad everything turned out okay. Ya gotta love those priceless stories that will keep you laughing through the years. This is one of those stories! Thanks for sharing!

Yvonne said...

Oh I'm glad everything was fine. Poor Conner (and Michael) and you! I'm glad its all ok.

Melissa (Catlin) Kiser said...

I can't even imagine the panic you guys felt. I'm glad you posted the cold shower thing because we use it too. Someone in the Cleveland Branch told me you did it and it was the only thing that got through to my boys. Each one had to have it 4 times and then no more accidents. Brilliant. I've been meaning to thank you for the wisdom, but since you never directly told me about it it never came up. Every time Ben goes to the bathroom now he says, "I made it. No cold shower!" Thanks!

wurstens5 said...

That is too scary. Glad you found him. That actually happened to me the other day. I was searching and searching for ashlie, and calling her name for about 10 min and there was nothing, she wasn't anywhere. Finally I went back to the basement again and the lights had turned back on, but I still couldn't find her, and we found her about 20 min later in this castle we have in the basement crouched in this little whole. She had and accident in her pants and didn't want to tell me. I felt so sad, because we never yell or anything when she does have an accident. It about broke my heart. Crazy kids!!

Unknown said...

It would be scary to get a call like that from your husband. And three hours is SOOOO long to be wondering where your kid went. I did have to chuckle though when you guys found him hiding for that long. What little stinkers kids can be.

Laurie said...

Love the milk carton.

Deanna said...

Now that it's all over: this is one of the funniest stories ever!!! I can only imagine Michael's panic! (Only when "dad" is babysitting...) :o) Too funny!

GoatesGirl said...

Zipporah! I don't know if I should laugh or cry. I am so glad he's alright. So sad you had to go thru that. I can't believe he stood there for 3 hours. This is one of those stories you tell over and over again when they get older. Glad all is well!

The Larsons said...

That is one of the craziest things I have ever heard! I can't believe he stayed there that long! I would go crazy! But, it will be a good story later. :)

510Jen said...

Laugh, cry, panic I don't know which one I would do. I am sure glad he was found, a great story for years to come though.

Lynnette said...

This will be a story you tell him for years! At least if you couldn't be there, you were with friends that love you like crazy! Loved seeing you babe...and thanks for the darling note in the mail. We really are going to come see you this spring! :)